Sunday, March 28, 2010

Scones

So I was thinking back to the very few memories I have of my childhood. :) I remember going to my Great Aunt Meta's house and she always had scones, and we'd cut them in half and put jelly on them. YUM! Brings me back. So I found a recipe for those online.


Scones

2 cups flour
1/4 cup white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup whipping cream

Preheat oven to 375.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking
powder and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs. In a small measuring cup combine the whipping cream, beaten egg and vanilla. Add this mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until combined. Do not over mix.

Knead dough gently on a lightly floured surface. Roll or pat the dough into a circle that is about 7 inches round. Then, using a 2 1/2 inch round cookie cutter, cut the dough into rounds. Place the rounds on the prepared cookie sheet, spacing a few inches apart. Brush the tops of the scones with a little cream. This helps to brown the tops of the scones during baking. ( I did not have this size of a cookie cutter so I used one of my drinking glasses.)

Bake for about 15 - 18 minutes or until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of a scone comes out clean. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.

No comments:

You might also like these posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...