Friday, April 30, 2010

Cake, take 3

Ok.....so in the beginning of this thought process, Monkey wanted a pirate birthday. So I thought I could do something pirateish for the cake. Then my first thought was to find something that looked like a treasure chest and have coins spilling out. So I finally found something at Hobby Lobby that was perfect for that.

Then.....take 2. I thought I was going to be able to make the cake itself look like a treasure chest with fondant frosting. Well, doing this process was proving much harder than the thought process was! I made the cakes yesterday so they would have time to cool. Then I started making the frosting around 1pm today....and was trying to assemble the cakes. It is now 7pm and I just finished putting the cake together. It would have worked but the fondant kept ripping on me and after however many hours of trying to put it together, the bottom was together, so I took the top off the cake and we changed the idea back to idea 1....

But take 3...we already have the bottom piece set for the bottom of the treasure chest, so it's not quiet what my first thought was, not anything like what my second thought was...and with Plan C, we have the cake all set and ready for the party! I'm happy with how it turned out, however it is not what I really had planned. Oh well! Such is life. It's just a cake after all!

So here's the final masterpiece....


And did you know that Brown is extremely difficult to make in frosting! Mix red and green, but it turns out more of a reddish "brown" if you can even call it that. So if I knew we were going to end up with how we finished the cake, I would have chosen a different color for the frosting....otherwise it was going to be a cedar treasure chest! :)

No comments:

You might also like these posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...