Thursday, May 13, 2010

‘Homemade’ Spaghetti Sauce



‘Homemade’ Spaghetti Sauce
Tonight we had spaghetti. Usually I just use the can of Hunt spaghetti sauce and add hamburger and green pepper. But my sister made this homemade sauce once when I was over and she gave me the recipe. So here goes....

3 cans Italian diced tomatoes
2 small cans tomato paste
1 small can tomato sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar (more or less to taste) I used a little more than that
onion powder
minced onion
3-4 garlic cloves
1 lb hamburger
I also added fresh chopped green pepper



One of my probably lesser-likable things to do when cooking is boil noodles. Not because it’s hard but it seems to take forever, and you’re constantly checking to see if they’re soft enough, and the water boils over and stinks like yucky burnt-noodle-water smell. So, even though it was after the fact, I decided to look it up and see if it’s possible to cook noodles in the microwave. Here’s what I found. Like I said, I haven’t tried it yet, but I sure will be trying it next time!

How to cook spaghetti noodles in microwave
Yes, you can cook spaghetti noodles in the microwave!
In a large bowl, add spaghetti noodles, breaking them in half as needed. Add enough boiling water to cover the noodles, plus an additional 2" higher to allow for the noodles to expand and absorb water. Add small amount of salt and oil. Stir noodles to ensure they are not sticking, then place uncovered in microwave. Heat on high for 10 minutes or until noodles are al dente. Without removing from the microwave, cover top of container with lid or plate and allow to stand for 3-5 minutes to finish cooking. Drain and serve.

No comments:

You might also like these posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...