Thursday, August 26, 2010

Never-ending supply?

Is there something that you wish would never run out? 

Do you take some things for granted?  I know I sure do. 

This may be a rather silly comparison, but never the less it was a thought I had.  I was getting ready to start the dishwasher, so I reach in under the sink and grab a soap square.  Randomly I thought wouldn’t it be cool if I never ran out of these again. (not that I’m saying, of all the things in the world this is what I would wish to be never-ending, just a passing thought) If I never had that moment, which I have way too often, of reaching in hoping to be able to run the dishwasher, but only to find out that the bag is empty!  Immediately after I had that thought I also thought, would I even think about it again, if it was a never ending supply or would I be amazed at the wonder of it and grateful every time?  And then I thought of the lady who fed Elijah with the last of her flour.  Now this is a much more dramatic story than my thought of not every running out of dish washer soap, but nevertheless.....I shall proceed. 

It’s amazing how many things we can just take for granted.  I even think if something were to happen like that history shows we would probably not be grateful, but wondering and hoping and nervous to see if it really was true.  If even if I took the last one the next time I reached in there there would there really be more?! 

So back to the Bible.   Remember the story?

1 Kings 17
8 Then the word of the LORD came to him: 9 "Go at once to Zarephath of Sidon and stay there. I have commanded a widow in that place to supply you with food." 10 So he went to Zarephath. When he came to the town gate, a widow was there gathering sticks. He called to her and asked, "Would you bring me a little water in a jar so I may have a drink?" 11 As she was going to get it, he called, "And bring me, please, a piece of bread."  12 "As surely as the LORD your God lives," she replied, "I don't have any bread—only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. I am gathering a few sticks to take home and make a meal for myself and my son, that we may eat it—and die." 13 Elijah said to her, "Don't be afraid. Go home and do as you have said. But first make a small cake of bread for me from what you have and bring it to me, and then make something for yourself and your son. 14 For this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the LORD gives rain on the land.' " 15 She went away and did as Elijah had told her. So there was food every day for Elijah and for the woman and her family. 16 For the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the word of the LORD spoken by Elijah.

Now if you were her, would you be thinking, ok?  Or would you be wondering and nervous about this really coming true?  I mean you have no money and only enough flour to make a  small bread for yourself and your son and you know that this is the last thing you’re going to eat before you die of starvation.  I’m not so sure I would be very trusting of this man.  Would you?  How do you honestly think you would react if someone told you that about something you rely on?  I mean, I know we’d all love to think we’d have no negative thoughts, but, get real.  We are all sinners.

No comments:

You might also like these posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...