Wednesday, October 20, 2010

New Sweet & Sour Chicken with Fried Rice

 Tonight was chinese night!  


I got a new wok at IKEA for $5.  
Steal of a deal, I know. :)

Today was the first time I got to use it!  Yay.  It worked great.

I have another sweet and sour chicken recipe I've made before.  This time I used a bottle of sweet and sour I got from the store to test it out and see the difference.

Here's the brands I used for the sweet and sour and the fried rice seasoning.


I prepared it the way it says on the sweet and sour bottle.  But it says to make Sweet and Sour Pork, and I changed it to chicken.   Here's what I did for the chicken.
First notice my nice new wok! :)  YAY!

3 chicken breasts, thawed and cut into 1 inch cubes.
1 bottle sweet and sour sauce
cornstarch
soy sauce
carrots
onions
green pepper
olive oil

Cut chicken into 1 inch cubes, dip in cornstarch and soy sauce.  Brown in 2 Tbsp oil slowly in a hot skillet.  Add 1/4 cup water; simmer, covered 20 minutes stirring twice.  Cut 2 carrots into thin slices, 1 onion and 1 bell pepper into 1 inch squares, stir into skillet with 1 cup sweet and sour sauce.  Simmer, covered, 10 minutes, stirring frequently.  add 1 cup pineapple chunks, heat through.
(I did not use the onion, or pineapple just because I didn't have it.)
TJ gave this a 7 out of 10, and he said he likes it better than my other sweet and sour chicken recipe which is linked above.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Fried Rice

2 cups minute rice
green onion
carrots
peas
olive oil
seasoning packet
soy sauce

First I cooked minute rice, and just to simplify....
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil.  Remove from the heat, add your 2 cups of rice cover and let stand 5 minutes.  Use the same amount of water/rice no matter how much you want to make. :)

I let it cool, and put the rice in my large skillet with 2 tbsp of olive oil and green onions.  Next add the seasoning packet and 2 tsp soy sauce.  Stir-fry for 1 minute.  Next push the rice to the side and add your 2 eggs and scramble.  Then stir into the rice.  Add your peas and carrots!


This was yummy!  TJ gave it a 7 out of 10.





No comments:

You might also like these posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...