Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Asian Sweet & Sour Meatballs






Asian Sweet & Sour Meatballs

1 can whole water chestnuts, finely chopped
1 tsp peeled and finely chopped gingerroot (*I did not use this)
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions with tops
2 lbs ground chicken (could be beef or turkey also)
4 slices bread broken into small pieces
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 garlic cloves
1 jar plum sauce
1/2 -3/4 jar of chili sauce *depends on your liking, it may make it more or less 'spicy' depending on how much you use.

These are the plum and chili sauces I used.

Preheat oven to 400.  Finely chop the waterchestnuts (and gingerroot*I did not use this).  Slice green onions.  Combine the ground chicken, bread crumbs, water chestnuts, green onions, (1/2 tsp. gingerroot), garlic and soy sauce.  Mix thoroughly.  Use a small scoop to shape the meatballs and place in a pan, or deep dish baker.  Bake for 15 minutes. Remove juice from the pan. Meanwhile mix the plum preserves and chili sauce (and other 1/2 tsp gingerroot).  Pour this mixture over the meatballs and toss to coat evenly.  Return to oven baking another 15 minutes.  Stir before serving.  Serve with rice!


**The real recipe makes a little less I added more stuff to make a few more meatballs so my husband would have extra for lunch the next day.  My family of 4 eats more than a typical family, my boys eat more than 'normal' children do. :)

I placed mine in a pan like this to bake....which I used this one and one more pan half this size.   Then after the first 15 minutes, instead of having to remove the juice, I put them in the deep dish baker and poured the sauce over them.  These are easy clean up stones, so I don't mind.
 Before baking the last 15 minutes.

Done baking!


TJ rates this a 6 out of 10.  He said it was a little too spicy for his liking. :)  So I need to find another chili sauce that's a little tamer next time. :)


 

No comments:

You might also like these posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...