Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Meatballs with Peppers & Pineapple



Meatballs with Peppers & Pineapple

I got this recipe from a friend who just recently started sharing her recipes online too!....but my version is different than hers.  I'll note the differences along the way.

1 1/2 lb. ground chicken
1 small diced onion (I used an electric chopper to chop them up pretty fine)
1/2 cup finely crushed croutons (I used my homemade croutons)
1 tsp. salt
Black pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 can pineapple chuncks
2 1/2 cups beef broth
2 Tbsp soy sauce (as I'm typing this I realized I forgot this ingredient)
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
Salt to taste
Crushed red pepper, to taste (optional)


Combine ground chicken, diced onion, salt, pepper, finely chopped croutons, and crushed red pepper. Mix with a fork until combined.
 Yes there is an egg in the picture, but I ended up not needing to add it because the ground chicken was sticky enough that everything blended well together and it didn't need the egg to help hold it together.

Next, use a cookie scoop to place meatball mixture onto a cookie pan.  
Bake in the oven at 400 for 35 minutes.  Check to make sure chicken is cooked through with a thermometer.  (this is different from the original recipe.  She said to coat them and deep fry them for 2 minutes....I changed it to baking them in the oven for a couple reasons, one of them being calories)

Mix together broth, soy sauce, sugar, and cornstarch.

When pan is hot, throw in the chopped green peppers and cook for one minute.

 (finished baking in the oven)

Add pineapple to pan and cook for one minute, stirring gently. Pour in stock/soy sauce mixture, then add meatballs. Stir gently to combine and allow to cook and bubble for a few minutes.  May need to add more cornstarch to help the sauce thicken.  Let simmer for 10 mintues. Add salt and crushed red peppers to taste as extra if desired, before simmering.


Serve over cooked brown or white rice.


 

No comments:

You might also like these posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...