Sunday, May 29, 2011

Are you all done?

When the either one of the 2 year olds get mad, they like to throw a fit.  When that happens we put them in the pack and play because that is the only place they get to throw those fits or tantrums.  After they quiet down I go in there and ask if they are all done.  Most of the time they will stand up and raise their hands for me to pick them up.  Sometimes they have sit back down because they are not quite done yet so I have to check again in another minute or so.

Well the other day we were in the car, listening to the local Christian Radio Station.  I didn't hear the whole message that was being said....lets face it 7 people in the same van gets noisy...but I caught a statement that really stood out to me.  He said, it's like God comes to us and says, are you all done?
I immediately got the image of the twins in my head, and then thought of God putting me in the "pack and play" so to speak while I throw my fit about wanting things my own way....and then a little while later him coming to me and asking me if I'm 'all done'.  Do I say yes and get out, or am I going to respond stubbornly and throw a longer fit?  Why was I in there in the first place?

Hmmmm....this is interesting to me.  And I love how God uses the details of my life to teach me!

It made me think about what I'm being stubborn about with God.  What am I requiring from him that I don't deserve.  Likely everything... :)  But, it;s making me stop and think more about it. 

Isaiah 55:8 tells us,
8 "My thoughts are not like your thoughts.  And your ways are not like my ways," announces the Lord.

I don't need to see the whole picture.  God knows what's going on, and what's best and what's going to come of it.  I need to do a better job being patient and trusting him! It's kinda like when I pull the child from trying to touch the hot pan on the stove, and put him in the other room.  He only sees that I took him away from what he wanted to do....not that I saved him from burning his hand!

What is God trying to teach you?  Are you noticing His design and plan for your life, or are you throwing a fit because you don't understand what's going on, and things aren't turning out the way you wanted them too?!  How many times a day does God put YOU in the "pack and play"?! :)

Are you all done?

 

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Wow, this is a great analogy, Stephanie! very thought provoking for sure - thanks for sharing! :)

Amber said...

Kids are so examples of us in our relationship to God. I've seen this in my life as well lately. Asking the 3 yr old "Why?! Why can't you just obey?" And at that moment it's like God is staring down from Heaven asking the same thing, "Exactly...why can't you just obey?" :) Seems like God has been using several of our children to show us our weaknesses these days.

You might also like these posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...