Thursday, March 24, 2011

CrockPot Beef & Broccoli

Crockpot Beef & Broccoli

We also had homemade Lo Mein Noodles to go with this.  Click the link to see that recipe.



*1 lb thin beef (sliced)
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp sesame oil
2 cloves garlic
*1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
*1 bag thawed broccoli florets

Mix the soy sauce, white wine, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic cloves and red pepper flakes together in a crockpot.  Cut the beef into thin strips.  Toss evenly in the sauce mixture.
Cook on low for *6-8 hours.  Different cuts of meat will need different times to tenderize.  An hour before serving, add the entire bag(or bunch) of broccoli.  Cover and cook on high for another hour or so.  Gingerly toss to coat the broccoli.

--MY TIPS--
*For the beef, I used New York Strip Steaks
*If you do not like spicy I'd suggest not using the red pepper flakes, or very little.
*I used 2 bunches of fresh broccoli instead of frozen.
*Watch this while it's cooking depending on the type and thickness of meat, it may cook faster than you think.  I realized this the wrong way. :)  So I would suggest only cooking 4-6 hours and watching it.  When you think the beef is almost done to your liking, then add the broccoli for the last hour.
*Since my beef cooked too fast in the crockpot, I had to shut it off to try and salvage the food.  So instead I decided to cook the broccoli in my wok.  I used some olive oil, and a little bit, maybe 1/2 tsp of soy sauce in the wok, an then sauteed the broccoli until cooked through.  I then added the beef to the broccoli to heat it through again, since it had been sitting off and cooling down in the crockpot for a little while.  This worked enough to make this meal edible.  I will definitely try this again, but not cook the meat so long, and make sure I'm home that day so I can keep tabs on the meat during the day.
*I would guess you could also make this a stir-fry meal, that you could make on the stovetop in a wok as well.


I hope you can enjoy this and learn from my mistakes instead of making these mistakes on your own too! :)

ENJOY!


 

No comments:

You might also like these posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...