Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Heart Check


Do you need a heart check?  We all do sometimes.  Some days multiple times.


Obviously, I'm not talking about the physical heart check here, but the spiritual.

Today has been filled with naughtiness, bad actions, selfishness, anger, and lots more things!

To spare the details it started early in the morning and snowballed through everyone's actions.

And to be honest that really gets to ya!  So it started getting to me, and I thought....whoa!  I need a heart check here!  No matter how naughty they are I need to not let it get to me.

Proverbs 15:1-2 A gentle answer turns anger away.  But mean words stir up anger.  The tongues of wise people use knowledge well.  But the mouths of the foolish people pour out foolish words.

Proverbs 12:18  Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.

Wow aren't those verses a slap in the face?!  Am I softening my tone when I get upset or frustrated with something, or am I learning from the proverb that says a gentle or soft answer turns away the anger?!  And what is that coming out of my mouth....wise knowledge or foolish words?!

I wish I had a little recording or something that could go off before something like that happens.  Like...."STOP, don't pour out the foolish words!  Use the soft answer!"

Well, I guess the one thing I can do is post these verses in plain sight and work on them over and over until they are ingrained in my head a little better!  So, I'm posting one by the sink, and one on the pantry door. :)


Do you need a heart check?

What verses are you going to work on to help with that?

 

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Wow, Stephanie, what a wonderful reminder- thanks!! I needed this today! :) And every day! :)

Bobbi Kenow said...

Good idea! I need to have these friendly little reminders up at my house as well!

Anonymous said...

Ooooooo, we are in full-on toddlerhood over here and Miss Maisy was throwing a HUGE fit over wanting to go and then stay in the parking lot last night. She ran all the way down the sidewalk and got there before any of us could catch her. She was being majorly disobedient. And then, she wouldn't walk back to the car and I had to carry her kicking and screaming back. After the discipline she delighted us even further with her screaming and crying in the car drive back. I admit that I was beginning to lose my cool very quickly, both because of the heat and because of her acting up. But, it is so true that when we get angry at them it just makes it soooo much worse. This time was not a total victory for me, but better than some times because I knew people might be watching me. Why don't I act like God is watching me all the time then? Maybe I could have more self-control at home in the many other difficult situations this week with the children. It's so true that we must constantly turn to God and battle sin and His Word is a great place to start (thanks for the reminder Stephanie).

Love
Andrea

Anonymous said...

And then I just read this morning... Psalm 141:3 "Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips!"

Andrea

You might also like these posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...