Friday, May 2, 2014

Homemade Chocolate Cake (GFDF)

A birthday just took place, so we had cake.  This is the first time I've made cake since going gluten free.  Once again, I'm working with the all purpose gluten free flour mix from Betty Crocker.  I am not endorsing this stuff for any reason other than to let you know for sure what flour mix I have used since it worked out.  I haven't used all the others to be able to say if they will turn out the same in this particular recipe.  Not that they wont.  But things can get tricky when you stray from the original ingredients.  Or maybe that's just with me?! :) HA.

This is a cake recipe I used to make before becoming gluten free, now with the gluten free twist.



Homemade Chocolate Cake

2 cups sugar
3/4 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups all purpose gluten free flour mix
2 tsp xanthum gum
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup sour milk (I used almond milk, and soured it with vingegar)
1 cup boiling water


Beat the sugar with the shortening.  Mix in the eggs and vanilla.  Sour the milk with 1 tsp of vinegar. Next mix the flour, xanthum gum, cocoa powder and baking soda in another bowl.  Add a little of the flour mixture, then milk, and back and forth until they are both gone.  Once that is completely mixed together add the boiling water and stir together.  Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

When using the gluten free flour the cake will expand rather large when cooked, but will shrink smaller when it has cooled.

I cut the cake in half and stacked it, added strawberries inbetween and on top with chocolate frosting.

Enjoy


Click here to see all my other gluten and dairy free recipes



 

No comments:

You might also like these posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...